What should I look for in file-based audio correction?
File-based audio correction presents a number of challenges.
- You may wish to work with a variety of media files, e.g. mov, wav, or different flavours of mxf files.
- The media file may have audio that isn’t solely programme content. For example, tone and silence at the beginning and residual audio at the end. A compliance solution needs to have mechanisms in place that enable measurement and correction of the actual media that we are interested in. This is also true for an automated solution – unless these elements are dealt with, it is impossible to automate the compliance process reliably.
- The media files may have a combination of multiple stereos and multiple 5.1s. The compliance solution has to be correctly setup to handle a multiplicity of stereo and 5.1 programme combinations.
- The audio may be PCM, Dolby E, or encoded in a number of compressed formats (Dolby D, Dolby Digital+, etc.)
- The media may wish to be corrected for a variety of corrections, e.g. programme loudness and true peak, short term and momentary correction for promos and commercials, and dynamic range management for either theatrical sources or for online distribution.
For file-based audio compliance, the above are just some of the operational aspects that have to be managed in an automated fashion.
Measurement and correction algorithms need to be designed to not only provide the highest quality audio with minimal changes to the creative mix (for programme loudness and true peak correction) but also managing the channel layouts and the channel groupings.
The design of loudness correction in Engine incorporates these challenging requirements. We listened carefully to the challenges our customers had and over the years incorporated their needs and requirements.
Would you like more info to help you navigate the obstacles and complexities of audio compliance processing? Our new 10 Point Loudness Checklist has concise information to assist you.
Click here to download your free copy of Loudness Compliance: The 10 Point Checklist.
You are always welcome to contact us with your compliance questions as well.